Removing Speedometer for repair

While traveling from Yuma Arizona to my home in Utah Somewhere along the way my speedometer quit working. I used the tack to judge how fast I was going and made it home OK. Now it was time to find out what was wrong. All of the instruments in the instrument cluster were working including the Cruse control, the Odometer, and the tack. since they were all working this told me that the Speedometer head MPH which was not working. had to be bad. So it was now time to remove the speedometer and get it repaired. The speedometer is electronic and is part of the instrument cluster so the whole thing had to be removed as a unit. Continue to read to see how it was removed and pictures.

Continue reading “Removing Speedometer for repair”


Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Flat Tow Mod

Last week I took my 2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk to the Jeep dealer to have the Flat Tow Kit installed. This is required so that the EPS (electrical power steering) is activated when towing. In the instructions that came with the kit. It states that you have to open the hood and insert a 10 amp mini fuse in a fuse holder mounted next to the power distribution box and to remove the fuse when not towing or parking for several hours or else the battery in the vehicle will be drained and go dead or be run down. What a PITA to have to open the hood and remove a fuse eveytime I stopped or have to insert a fuse again when I am ready to tow. So I decided to Fix that with a switch and a Indicator Lamp. The switch is in series with the fuse coming from the distribution box to the electric power steering or EPS. The indicator lamp lets me know when the switch is in Tow Mode. See Diagram and pix below. This way I can flip a switch instead of having to open the hood and I can tell at a glance if I am in tow mode.

Continue reading “Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Flat Tow Mod”

Getting My Toad Ready To Tow!

Getting My 2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Ready to tow behind my motor home. The first thing I did was to get a Hopkins Towed Wiring Kit #56208 For the tail and brake lights. This kit plugs directly into the OEM Wiring System on the jeep No wires to cut and no diodes to solder. The kit comes with a Built in Diode system to prevent voltage Feed Back. Removing the Tail Lights was as simple and removing 2 screws and running the wires for the passenger tail and stop Lights from the drivers side under the rear bumper to the passenger side. The Wires from the Tail and Stop Lights was run on the drivers side to the front of the jeep where the Umbilical Cable hook up from the motor home will be located. Where possible I ran the wires behind fender wells and under skid plates using a 3/8th split Wire conduit on exposed wires the conduit is flame retardant. the only hard part was laying on my back to run the wire underneath the jeep. Next was to install The Blue Ox Base Plates. I Have a Blue Ox Aladdin BX4325 7500 Lb Tow Bar.

Continue reading “Getting My Toad Ready To Tow!”

Modified Pantry In Motor Home

The Pantry in our Motor Home was all but useless because The opening was only 6 inches wide and 25 inches deep. We had to take stuff out to try and reach something at the back. It was just unworkable and I decided to fix it. I purchased two Rev-A-Shelf sliding units on Amazon for $98 each delivered. The units are well constructed and are 5″W x 22″D x 25″H See Picture Below.
Continue reading “Modified Pantry In Motor Home”

Traded RV’s Again

Well I traded my 5th wheel and got another Class A Motor Home. I am always asked by friends and family why did you do that. Well here are some of my reasons for trading once again. I have always preferred a Motor Home above and beyond any other RV. This is especially true because of our age. We are in our 80’s and it gets harder all of the time to setup camp with a 5th wheel or travel trailer. I am not going to get into all of the Pro’s and Con’s of which RV is better. I will only give my reasons for going back to a Class A Motor home.

Continue reading “Traded RV’s Again”

Wintering in Yuma Arizona

We arrived at Sun Ridge RV Park in Yuma Arizona on the 5th of January. It will be 2 weeks tomorrow since we arrived. It is Friday the 18th and we are here for the winter. Jan to Apr. Took some pictures of the park. We have been snow birds to Yuma for 24 years. This is the first time staying in this park. The spaces are big and wide and you are not jammed in next to your neighbor.


Here we are all setup and ready for company. Lots of room on our patio under the patio awning.
Continue reading “Wintering in Yuma Arizona”

My Year End Update for 2018

My Year End Update for 2018

2018 was a crazy Year for us. It all really started in December of 2017 when I decided to trade the Motor Home and get a Travel Trailer to go to Arizona for the winter. You can read the reasons for doing so in a previous post Review of a Forest river Travel Trailer. It has been five years since we have been able to get away from part of the cold and snowy winter here is Utah. Although this has been a mild winter so far, we were use to going to Arizona or Texas every year to escape the winter cold and snow, for 22 years. Yes we were Snowbirds. Five years ago because of medical problems we were unable to go South for the winter until now. It is now January 19 2018 and I just purchased a new Forest River Travel Trailer a couple of weeks ago.

Continue reading “My Year End Update for 2018”