I have had nothing but problems with Tail, Turn Signal, Stop, and Backup Lights on my Motor Home. Every Trip one or more of the lights would stop working or else be Blinking on and off. It is because of a poor designed Tail Light Assy for the 2006 Four Winds Hurricane 31D and the same Assy is also used on the Newmar 2006 Kountry Star. Both have the same type problems. I decided to do something about it. Could not locate a new Assy anywhere so I modified the ones I had to fix the problem.
The main problem is caused by the plastic lamp holders drying up and shrinking or breaking so that the bulb is loose in the socket. Moisture and Corrosion cause the rest of the problem. Electrical Grease and Corrosion inhibitor will not solve the problem of loose sockets. Here is what I did.
1. I bought 4ea Dorman #85804 Single contact Light Sockets for the Turn Signal and Backup Lights.
2. I bought 2ea Dorman #85802 Double contact Light Sockets for the Stop and Tail Lights.
3. I then removed each tail light assy. I disassembled the Light bar and sockets from the lens by removing the 2 screws that hold it in place and removing the plastic sockets.
The plastic sockets in the above image.
4. The light bar has to be modified by grinding off the Light bulb tangs and enlarging the holes slightly.
Light bar with the Tangs Removed and Holes enlarged (area in Red).
5. Next I had to Modify the new Light Sockets By cutting on each side of the spring clips so that I could spread them.
The socket on the left after modification. The one on the right not modified. The red lines denote where to cut so that the spring clips can be spread.
6. I installed the bulbs and sockets bending the clips over on the bulb side so they would not come out of the slots. I then stripped each wire and installed a spade lug for easy hook up and removal of the tail light assy.
Backside of Light bar with New sockets installed.
Bar is finished with new metal light sockets and ready to attach to the tail light lens, and installed on the motor home. No more blinking Lights or lights not working. The lights are brighter too.