Folks there are a lot of scammers out there. I got scammed and I know better. I was looking for a small Portable Inverter Generator Online, when I ran across a advertisement for a Yamaha 2000 watt Inverter Generator for a unheard of price from a so called big time Generator Distributor in Issaquah, Washington. Nice website and looked really Legit. They promised quick delivery and had several name brands. I noticed that they stated in small print that they had 1061 Honda UE2000i Generators in stock. I thought Wow this outfit is really big. So on the Monday before Christmas, I ordered a Yamaha Inverter 2000 watt generator, the latest one at 23% lower than most other retailers. I was promised 4 to 7 day delivery. I payed with PayPal and received a email from them stating that they had received payment and that the generator would be shipped within 24 hours. No invoice, No tracking number, and no Phone number. I only had their Email saying they would ship in 24 hours and a PayPal email stating that payment had been made and that they had not received shipping info from the company. I sent several Emails to the email address given and received no answer. I was a little bit concerned, but figured they were pretty busy because of Christmas and all. I waited for 10 days when I sent a Email to them saying that I was contacting PayPal and where was the Generator that I ordered and was paid for.
That must have got them worried or else someone else had complained, because a couple of hours later, I went to their website only to find that it had been suspended. I immediately notified PayPal and I started doing some more checking. Here is what I found.
The address on the website in Issaquah Washington, was not a business but a house (mansion) that was For Sale. No such business existed in Issaquah. Next I did a “Who Is” on the URL and found that the website was registered to a individual in Bejing China whos name was different than the one that PayPal sent me. As soon as I found that out, I contacted my Credit Card company and gave them all of the information. My Credit card Company has Credited back my account while investigating which could take up to 30 days or more depending on complexity. This was a out and out scam and fraud. Pretending to be a US company, not delivering the merchandise, and false representation. I am glad that I paid with a credit card through PayPal.
Here are the lessons Learned.
1. If it sounds to good to be true it probably isn’t.
2. if something seems strange take your time and check it out.
3. call the business by looking up the phone number, not the one given on the website.
4. to make sure it is not a foreign Website or company not in the United States. Do a “Who Is”.
5. Be suspicious if you don’t get a invoice or an answer to your Email in a timely matter.
6. Don’t go by what the website says or the address that is given on the website without checking it out.
7. make sure that the phone number is legit and contact the BBB if they say on the website that they are a member. Call the BBB anyway.
8. Always Pay with a credit Card if possible.
9. if you have a problem and suspect fraud or a scam notify your credit card company or PayPal if that is who you went through, at once.